shire hall - hereford

Herefordmain 

Following a meeting in 1814, the Grand Jury of the time decided that the Shire hall was not fit for purpose as the buildings were not convenient for its use and therefore, the current shire hall was built and now stands on the site of the old Gaol house. It was built in the early 1800s by Sir Robert Smirke and closely resembles the look of a Greek Temple. Built of sandstone, it is one of Herefords most well-known landmarks and contains two working court rooms (believed to be one of the country's oldest working courts) as well as meeting room and a large concert hall. One of the halls most  famous  trials was of a George Armstrong who was found guilty of killing his wife. Although Armstrong was hung in Gloucester Prison at a later date, public hangings also are known to have taken place in St Peters Square in front of the building. Original features such as the wood panelling and original judge's chair with hat hook still remain.

Numerous reports of paranormal activity have been received from visitors and staff alike. The cells believed as holding the most activity.

Unusual lights as well as cold spots have been reported. A heavy door has been heard to slam shut when no one is around. Others have felt the sensation of a child's hand believed to be that of a little girl holding their hand as well as pulling on their clothes. Cigar smoke, the sound of footsteps, and a dark figure being seen are also among the many reports within this building.

Is the story of a former prison governor believed to have kept the bodies of the hung prisoners to feed to his pigs true?